Friday, January 1, 2010

Testing of our faith.


Dear friends

Here we are a new year, a new decade. This may be the year of our Lord's coming. I know this is the time for us to shine the brightest. I had the opportunity to speak at Life Challenge of Detroit for their yearly mission conference. I was scheduled for 8:am. I left the night before and stayed at Pastor Ed Valentin's in Lapeer Michigan. I arrived about 10:pm and left at 5:am. At Life Challenge I shared about the trial we often face when we step out in faith. I also shared that I did not expect things to change, that the battles will even get tougher as the years come. However, I shared how I know that the Lord would give more of His joy, to see us through. This is a truth, I have learned to live. We are in a war. I have never known an easy battle. Often many draw back from the fight, because of the struggles along the way. We are told by many in the pulpit that things like this do not happen to Christians, we can just claim it away. I have always been amazed by how many have swallowed this lie. Not only do they take it in, they pay a price to have their ears tickled. This deception amongst us, is so far from truth. Paul knew from the beginning he was going to have to face much suffering, yet he did not draw back: But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; for I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name." (Acts 9:15-16 RSV)

How many today would go forward, if it was told from the get go they would suffer? Yet this is what we are told would happen in God's word. "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. (John 15:20 NKJV) If there is one thing we need today, it is honesty in the pulpit. Share the truth at whatever cost. I think it was Leonard Ravenhill who said: "If you are going to preach repentance, you better pledge your head to heaven." To be a soldier of the Lord, we must settle in our hearts that we will be in the war for the souls of men. Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 1:3 NKJV)

Goliath stood before the Army of Israel taunting them. One thing he said often bothers me. I find it such a challenge, because I believe this is what the wicked dark spirits of this hour dare us with. And the Philistine said, "I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together." (1 Samuel 17:10 NKJV) Give me a man who will fight. What a challenge to the church of today, what a call to all those who truly want to fight the good fight of faith.

If we realize that we too, will face what others who truly walked in faith faced, than we also will not be caught off guard. When I was in the military we were trained to fight, to expect terrible adversities, so that when we did face them we would respond, instead of drawing back in fear. The Christian walk is the greatest life to live, a journey of wondrous exploits, and an adventure. However, in it all, we will face the powers of darkness. They will do all they can to get us to quit, to draw back into the comfort and ease, of our fellowship halls. This is not the way for those who walk the narrow way. We must fight, and fight we will. For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, (Philippians 1:29 NKJV)

Since I been going overseas, and traveling around the country, Julie and I have come to face these trials. Julie often times seems to face much more than I do, at the home front. Whenever I leave, there is something that goes wrong at home. The devil tries to wear us down, get us discouraged by these things that come upon us. Yesterday evening, while driving from Detroit to home, which is over a four hour drive, my daughter Melody called and said that Julie had not returned from work. She was worried about her. Julie had no cell phone with her. We share them, she always gives her's up. That is Julie, she is always thinking of others first. This is not something I say because I am married to her. I know that all who know her, would tell you the same; though she does not see her self like this. She is the most unselfish person I have ever known, and I am so blessed to be married to such a wonderful woman. I became very concerned about her last night, specially after a few hours passed by. I started praying. I thought of what I had shared that morning, about the trials we face. I thought of life without my wife. I told the Lord that I was only half a person without her. I had to rethink this, and told the Lord I was less than half a person without her. I was troubled that we had not heard a word from her, because this is not like Julie. As l I traveled I prayed for her, and my whole family. I know God is in control. I realized how hard it must be for Julie, when I am gone and she looses all contact with me, when I am overseas. This short time was difficult for me, I cannot imagine how difficult it has been for her all these years, of her trying to hold down the home front, trusting the Lord throughout the times and trials of separation. I was thinking how thankful I was, that the Lord has blessed me with Julie. Soon after all that, I received a phone call from Melody. She told me Julie called. She told Melody, her car's engine finally gave out. She had broken down along side the road out in a remote area. Last night was very cold. She got out of the car, and tried to push the car by herself, off the road. She said no one stopped to help, while she was doing this. She was going to walk, but the distance and time of night she decided not to. She sat in the car for a couple of hours, and listened to the Christian radio station. She said that every song that came on, was about trusting the Lord through trials. A man finally stopped and let her use his cell phone, than gave her a ride to the house. I was so relieved to hear she was home. This situation made me reflect on the things I shared that morning. I realized that none of us are promised tomorrow on this earth, but we are promised that our life is in the hands of the Lord. He knows our coming and going. We are out of a vehicle, but I am still with my wife, and that makes me cherish every moment the Lord gives us together. In it all, I will continue by His grace to fight the good fight of faith. We will have these trials, but they are truly for a moment, in the light of eternity. We must press on, be faithful, fight the good fight of faith. Stand your ground. Pray for one another. We must finish the course set before us. When the devil calls out: "Where is a man that will fight", run to the battle, our God reigns. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, (1 Peter 1:3-7 NKJV)


PS, if anyone has a vehicle to help us, so that I can continue to go forth, please let us know. Cannot leave Julie alone without one.

1 comment:

Randy Auiler said...

Tom, throughout the history of Gods people, the enemy of our souls has tried to tear away the living hope we have in Christ Jesus and of our Father. He uses a powerfull weapon, discouragement.He has and still does underestimate the power in a life which is sold out to Gods will. Tom and Julie keep taking ground in the army of our King and keep up "The Good Work" then, when our commander comes.He will bring His promised reward for you.For are work is not in vain. God bless Randy 1John 3:1-3